Description of the job
The description of the secretary jobs that are normally assigned to the people employed in the industry is as follows:
• Maintaining important spreadsheets, databases and documents and sustaining office systems.
• To prepare notes and book rooms, produce invoices and arrange meetings.
• Checking out the customary budgets and finances of the branch and make external contacts with different organizations.
• Placing order for the useful equipments like stationary that the company may be requiring.
• Training the junior recruits and enroll other staffs.
• To help the team manager in different issues such as preparing presentations and writing down notes.
• To arrange the events and lodging for customers.
To obtain a secretary job in a respectable firm, there are few educational requirements that must be satisfied by a person. For entry level job titles, most of the times high school diploma is the basic requirement for the employment of secretary. However, there are some organizations which give preference to candidates who have done a 1 or 2 year certification program or diploma at some esteemed business or vocational school. Sometimes, the applicants may also asked to have attended some training session through some ‘professional secretary certification programs' like certified professional Secretary certification which renders training in communication, office administration, accounting, management and office technology. Some organizations also provide them various training opportunities through a number of "on the job" training programs.
Certification and training
There are several certification and training programmes that are open to the secretary professionals. These courses are of short duration and are offered by various institutions. Some of these certificate and training courses are:
• Public speaking certificate course
• Interim course in banking and finance
• Office management course
• Certificate courses in business data processing/ secretarial practice
The basic skills that a person requires for a secretary job are computer knowledge, mathematical aptitude, organizational skills, typing skills as well as general awareness.
The salary that a professional in the field of secretary jobs gets is quite good, although it is different in different organizations. As the experience of a person increases in an organization, subsequently the salary also increases. The median annual salary of a corporate secretary in United States is around 185,240 dollars which can vary greatly on the basis of experience as well as type of job.
Finding a secretary job is not a very difficult task. Companies are in need of secretaries to handle their entire work. Thus, the secretaries play an extremely important role in all the companies and the companies nowadays are on an appointing binge with a view to recruit them.