First Choice Dental
Madison, WI, United States
Healthcare, Administrative, Dental
START YOUR APPLICATION
JOB PURPOSE: To enhance the daily operations of the clinic by providing excellent service and communication to our patients. A dental assistant (DAS) gives the overall impression of the company as typically patients spend most of their time with DAS’s; therefore it is vitally important to set the tone with a positive attitude.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESULTS:
1. CHAIRSIDE ASSISTING:
* Prepare, sterilize, disinfect, and maintain dental instruments, supplies, and equipment.
* Collect and record patient health histories.
* Maintain patient management during dental procedures to make sure the patient is comfortable (i.e. proper suction, using tools in a gentle manner).
* Properly transfer instruments to the doctor and/or second DAS.
* Perform dental procedure isolation techniques. Keep patients’ mouths dry and clear by using suction or other devices.
* Preparation of dental materials (cements, amalgam, composite, impression materials, etc.).
* Thorough charting of treatment information in the patients’ dental notes from the doctor.
* Assist doctor in management of medical and dental emergencies.
* Clean and polish removable instruments.
* Fabricate temporary restorations and custom impressions from preliminary impressions.
* Instruct patients on postoperative instructions and general oral health care.
* Teach patients appropriate oral hygiene strategies to maintain oral health (i.e. tooth brushing, flossing, and nutritional counseling, etc.).
* Proficient with dental software (Dentrix) for charting, treatment planning, clinical notes, etc.
2. ;EXPANDED FUNCTIONS:
* Expose diagnostic x-rays and take intra-oral camera pictures (as needed).
* Take impressions.
* Use and maintain diagnodent, water laser, wand, intra-oral camera, etc.
* Adapt temporary crowns for both posterior and anterior.
* Place topical medications.
* Remove excess cement from fabricated restorations and orthodontic bands.
* Insert and adjust removable mouth appliances (i.e. denture, partial, flipper, bite splint, etc.).
3. DENTAL INFECTION CONTROL PROCEDURES:
* Manage the dental office infection control plan to meet OSHA, CDC, and ADA standards.
* Perform instrument cleaning, sterilization/disinfection, and re-circulation.
* Disinfect dental operatory and sterilization.
4.DENTAL LABORATORY PROCEDURES:
* Pour impressions to make models and trim models.
* Fabricate mouth guards, temporary crowns, whitening trays, custom impression trays, etc.
* Prepare casting models and dies.
5.BUSINESS OFFICE PROCEDURES:
* Schedule and confirm patient appointments.
* Pull patient charts and file paperwork.
* Answer the phone and take messages.
* Follow all forms of HIPPA and patient privacy for confidentiality.
* Greet patients and display a proper hand-off to the front office when checking a patient out.
* Make unscheduled treatment calls.
6.PATIENT & COMMUNITY EDUCATION:
* Educate patients on personal oral care instructions (post-op, temporary crowns, removable appliances, extractions, etc.).
* Take part in community dental health presentations.
* Help to provide direct patient care in all dental specialties, including orthodontics, pediatric dentistry, periodontics, and oral surgery.
7.DENTAL ASSISTING - SPECIALTY AREAS:
* Assist with endodontic procedures and oversee the care of the endo equipment (microscope, hand pieces, files, etc.).
* Assist with conscious sedation and oversee the patient’s blood pressure and pulse oximeter readings.
* Assist with implant procedures.
* Assist with orthodontic procedures.
* Assist with TMJ procedures.
* Assist with perio procedures.
* Assist with oral surgery procedures.
8. SERVICE RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Exemplify excellent patient service by answering questions in a thorough manner and following up with the patient (when need be).
* Foster a positive attitude at work when interacting with staff and patients and be a team player.
* Practice First Choice Dental’s philosophy of 3-step communication.
* Perform work in an efficient manner and be timely with patient care.
* Provide a proper handoff to the doctor.
* Conduct unscheduled treatment calls and talk to patients about scheduling their next appointment.
* Be willing to help out at other sites (on day off or when asked).
* Help with keeping the doctor and schedule running on time.
* Respect patient privacy by maintaining a professional tone and by not discussing personal matters with other staff in front of a patient. The focus and conversation should always be centered around the patient. Keep level of voice controlled in order to not disturb other patients.
* Initiate ideas for ways the site can improve or become more efficient.
* Maintain effective organizational skills and a high attention to detail.
* Take the time to carefully explain information to patients in a non-technical manner.
* High School Diploma required
* Dental Assisting Diploma/Certificate preferred
* Requires a minimum of two years of recent dental assisting experience
* High proficiency with computers and electronic communication preferred
* Dentrix software preferred
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
* Strong interpersonal skills (making the patient feel welcome)
* Strong organizational and teamwork skills
* Ability to prioritize multiple requests efficiently
* Strong attention to detail and accuracy
* Effective written and verbal communication skills
* None required
* Prioritize duties
* Strong willingness to respond to patient questions/requests
* Demonstrates exceptional customer service and interacts effectively with doctors, patients, vendors, visitors, team members and the broader heath care community
* Demonstrates a commitment to service, organizational values and professionalism through appropriate conduct and demeanor at all time
* All employee records/conversations/benefit elections
* Business legal matters
START YOUR APPLICATION
First Choice Dental